After identifying areas of weakness or areas of interest where I wanted to develop deeper skills, I enrolled in training workshops, courses and programs offered at conferences and in my workplace.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Terra Dotta Advanced Workshop
- Microsoft Excel 2007: Workbook Fundamentals II
- Microsoft Excel 2007: Managing, Organizing and Analyzing Data
- Microsoft Excel 2007: Analyzing Data with Charts and PivotTables
- Microsoft Word 2007: More Advanced Features
- Survey Tools & Data Protection
International & Intercultural Education
NAFSA: Association of International Educators
In 2017 I was able to attend NAFSA's Advocacy Day to learn how to be a lifelong political advocate for international education.
I am a member of the 9th cohort of the NAFSA Academy, a training program for international education professionals at all levels of their career. My learning plan for the NAFSA Academy focused on:
- Broadening my international education experience by learning more about international student recruitment and advising
- Studying leadership and management
- Becoming a more successful advocate for international education through research and scholarship
I audited two years of Arabic courses with Miami University students, which gave me an opportunity to interact with them in a different setting. Thanks to my professional travel to Israel and my Arabic studies, I was made responsible for study abroad programs in the Middle East.
I have have attended state, regional, and national international education conferences throughout my career, with increasing levels of participation in conference planning and presenting, as well as taking part in conferences from other fields.
- Site Customization Advice From the Stars Among Us. Terra Dotta conference (Las Vegas, NV), 2017
- Coursework to Enhance Study Abroad Learning and Development (poster). NAFSA national conference (Houston, TX), 2012
- Mid-Career Professionals: Where Are They Now?. NAFSA Region VI conference (Louisville, KY), 2011
- Study Abroad. Ohio Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers conference (Columbus, OH), 2011
- Maximizing Study Abroad: Preparation and Re-Entry Coursework for Study Abroad Students. NAFSA Ohio state conference (Columbus, OH), 2011
- International Student Advising "For Dummies". NAFSA Region VI conference (Indianapolis, IN), 2010
- Social Media and the International Education Office. NAFSA Ohio state conference (Columbus, OH), 2010
- Study Abroad in a Transparent World. NAFSA national conference (Los Angeles, CA), 2009
Study abroad advising is a job that requires a lot of short-form writing. I have had the opportunity to write several such pieces for student newsletters, which I have included here as examples.
Letters to the Editor and Guest Blog Posts